Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Dreams Do Come True


Mostly 2002 re-do's recorded at Sleep Attack in Atlantic Mills, 


Providence Rhode Island. Was living there with Chris Forgues, Jeff Hartford, this dude from LA named Pat, Luke Kraft, and Jess down the hall from Insane Toys. 


We could be as loud as we wanted at all hours, had shows there for a few years. 


It was like 2500 sq ft for $500, crazy. We all had our own basically open-air noise zones going at all hours. I was struggling to start my own recording business, made some demos for USAISA Monster and The Body. They both came out rather murky due to damage the Otari mx5050 I bought had sustained during shipment from Las Vegas.

Between the years of 1999 and 2003 I was re-recording the songs from earlier mid 90s tapes trying to make them more accessible to potential listeners and friends.  I was planning on collecting them into a hand-made and hand-distributed CDr box set by May 10th 2004:


 2004 would mark the ten year anniversary of the projects inception. By 2002 I had still not played a live Lazy Magnet set or officially released any music with a label, only hand dubbing copies of collected albums for friends and other musicians. Sometimes I would try to sell copies to Armageddon Shop on Broadway in Providence. 

The re-do's were made on cassette four track. I would record the drums first and then over dub the guitars and bass, finishing off the process with the vocals. I would then mix down the four track tape onto a master cassette usually sequencing the songs ad hoc in the chronological order they were written in.

The song "Mirror Man" has a snippet at the very end of one of the first times I ever tried to make music, hanging out at a friends you can hear me playing a tr-505 with my fingers. Sounds like I'm trying to get it to play some sort of metal beat. The tape speed wasn't effected at all, those are our real voices, we were basically little kids.

The OG recordings were made on a grey Sony boom box


in Swampscott, MA


No comments:

Post a Comment