Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Rehash and Wave Goodbye


Winter of 96-97 I was sleeping in the basement of my friend Jennifer's house. Her father didn't know I was living there. I had to be very quiet. When he has at work I would make music on a four track. The basement was unheated, very cold and damp. I had a lot of dreams of shadow people, I was alone most of the time. I would sleep under a pile of blankets. I had a copy of "floating into the night" on LP spinning on a record player that would automatically restart at the end of each side-long play. I would lay under the blankets and listen in the dark to that record for hours basically not moving a muscle.

One day I wrote out about 75 song titles automatic-writing style into my notebook. I pressed record on the four track and called out the title of each song in succession and then improvised some sort of drum part. Afterwards I would listen and painstakingly record guitar and bass parts over these drums. The drum parts were all exceedingly short.

I wrote lyrics for the song titles and one day after playing kickball in the street with Jennifer's brother Ted in a very aggressive manor towards oncoming traffic I recorded the vocals in one take while I could see the legs of police men through the windows outside looking for us. 

The title "Rehash and Wave Goodbye" suggested I was already interested in collecting my past work into singles efforts to be left behind, in hopes that I could move on to new and better things. 

These recordings were re-dos made in 2004 in Providence on the Otari mx5050 8 track. 

There isn't groove and no hooks are repeated. Main influence for this style was the minutemen and Boner records-era Melvins albums like "Ozma" and 'Gluey Porch Treatments". Also "we're only in it for the money" by Mothers of Invention. 



(original master cassette from 1997 I somehow still have)

No comments:

Post a Comment