Saturday, May 2, 2020

Taste of the Natural Source


Consisting mostly of year 2000 four track re-do's, with two exceptions: "Bullshit" and "Rock n Roll is Energy". The thought behind this process or replacement or preservation being that some of the original recordings captured a moment in time that could never convincingly be recreated. There's a time and a place where any art or audio can be appreciated on it's own terms, right? Who is to say what dictates those conditions. 

There's a lot of living room energy in these OG recordings, in my opinion. And some kitchen table quality, as well. The original version of this tape was completed in Swampscott

,

and this is still part of the five tapes that comprised what I thought of as "year one" jams. I think of this tape as being tied spiritually to the "Dreams Come True" tape while the first two tapes were tied to each other in an etheric sense. "Less is More" stood alone.

The four track re-do's were made in Lynn, MA at the Justian bros house

,

spring 2000. Their musician father had left after splitting with his wife to pursue his music career aspirations. The boys, both in their late teens, took over the house. 

I lived in a small room on the second floor and endeavoured to complete my work. I had a wooden chair, access to digital drum machines and guitars, a dusty old bed and a sullen view of the street below. At the time I was preparing to take part in a sleep study that would eventually pay for an Otari mx5050 1/2" open reel 8 track

,

some mics and a mixer. Was I paying rent? Did I have some kind of income? Was I shoplifting food everyday just to eat?

 

I really couldn't tell you.



The title of this tape comes from an experience I had as a lad in S-Town: I was feeling blue lying immobile in bed when suddenly the urge to follow some thought regarding a creative impulse overwhelmed me and I was able to get up, take action and engage my life. I felt like I had touched on some core reality, a natural energy infused my being.. The joy of creation was mine after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment