Monday, November 28, 2022


Xeroxed, hand assembled covers housing CDr's burned on a stand alone Sony RCD-W1 machine 


in 2003?

This release compiled 4 trk recordings made with friends and on my lonesome between 00 and 03.

 Thomas Halloran is heavily featured on vocals, Christopher Forgues plays drums on "the sky is too real" and "new ways, control".

"Noise"..., "pop"..., "fucking around with a delay pedal"... every genre is represented. 
The title "Golden Dreams of Yesterday" was a sub-conscious steal from that "feel like making love" song.

 Again, the weird urge to neatly wrap up years worth of work into compilation-format releases in hopes that I could at last "walk away forever" from the entire endeavor. Odd.. 

Shout out to Thomas Halloran who really shines on this collection and represents stunningly some very true S Town vibes. From the basement to the basement.

"Czech One Two" was recorded at the PudHaus and was a soundcheck for the Tanqueray recordings. That's AxTx on drums. Recorded live to a cassette deck with two microphones.

"Lead Role Pose" is a Y2K re-do of a 1995 song from the album "Less Is More". After hearing the Sperm Whale EP by Thrones I decided I needed to get more detail oriented with my drum programming. I only had the Joe Preston solo Melvins album to prove to me that he was a real person, but still I didn't believe it. The music on that was so perplexing it hardly sounded like anything, almost invisible audio because my mind couldn't classify it. Around winter 2001 I was crossing the country on a Greyhound bus for maybe the 9th time and I ran into the band All Scars at a gas station rest stop in Wyoming. They seemed surprised that some rando in the middle of no where had somehow seen them play their Boston show of the tour they were still on. They explained that they were playing Portland in a couple days with Thrones. I was like "wait, Thrones is a real person?". I caught the show and it was incredible. 
I remember listening to the Sperm Whale EP finally and it simply didn't make sense to me. The signifiers were not landing right and it had nothing to do with irony and it had nothing to do with ineptitude, whatsoever. This was expertly crafted and recorded music that spoke a language I wasn't used to. How could you mix Kraftwerk with Eye Hate God and Genesis in equal parts? Eventually, tho.. it ended up having a profound influence on how I approached music making, performing and listening. 
Thank you, Joe.

This CDR was included as disc five of the first Lazy Magnet boxed set. Tacked on to the end of was a live Brown University radio broadcast facilitated by Scott Reber featuring many early Lazy Magnet songs played in a song/man with acoustic guitar style, albeit a tad unhinged.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment